Amusing Typo re Tymoshenko

[On a flying visit to Moscow April 29] "....the Prime Minister of Ukraine Yulia Tymoshenko met in Moscow with Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia. The event took place in St. Daniil Monastery.

Yulia Tymoshenko congratulated the Patriarch on his election and presented him with hand-painted Easter eggs.
Patriarch Kirill presented Yulia Tymoshenko with an icon of the Christ Almighty and wished it to protect the Ukrainian Premier during her trips, according to government press office

Yulia Tymoshenko invited Patriarch Kirill to visit Kyiv. “We will arrange everything to provide hostility in Kyiv for you,” Tymoshenko said."

While she's far too friendly to the rulers of Moscow for my liking, this editorial slip by a Ukrainian online news service called "forUm" may be an inadvertent revelation of the actual reaction Patriarch Kirill would receive from MANY religious groups, due to his heavy-duty policies to suppress all but the official-line Moscow Patriarchate.

2 comments:

Joanna Higginbotham said...

I was already amused from the beginning with "flying visit" (¿)

Mara said...

Who was not much amused was probably the Patriarch at the gift-giving ceremony.

I can just hear him muttering wearily an aside to Igor, his trusty subdeacon, "Would you take these and put them with the other 485 painted Easter eggs I have already received this year alone?

"I mean, I know I'm the classic "patriarch who has everything", but how I wish these official guests the state forces on me could at least brighten up the tedious occasion by putting a little thought to pick out something original, tailored for me.
Or at least a practical gift which I could actually USE?
Even a spiritual practical present. For example, instead of handing Julia the Icon, I told her that there was a special wish for her protection accompanying it."